This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. By using the Dendax website you are consenting to our use of cookies in accordance with our Policy.

Australia Tax Refund

Income tax refund from Australia
If you paid taxes from you wages in Australia, in most of the cases part or whole amount can be refunded to you. Your employer can deduct the following taxes:
  • Superannuation tax. For more information about how to get you Superannuation refund from Australia, click here
  • Income tax

Which taxes will be deducted from your income?
Student visa holders
  • Your income will be taxed by income tax rates from 32,5% to 45%.

WHM visa holders (subclass 417 and 462)
  • Change effective from 1.1.2017. You will pay 15% WHM non-resident rate of income tax and stay on this rate while you remain in Australia. Income higher than $37,000 is taxed with rates of 32,5% to 45%.
  • Your employer must be registered at the Australian Tax Office as a working holidaymakers employer. If your employer is not registered, your non-resident tax rate is 32,5% instead of 15%.

  • As a resident, your first $18,200 will be tax free. Following income is taxed with rates of 19% to 45%.

You must file a tax return in following situations
  • You have earned income and income tax was deducted from your income
  • You are an Australian resident and your taxable income was more than the tax-free threshold
  • You are a foreign resident and you earned more than $1 in Australia during the fiscal year
  • You are leaving Australia permanently or for longer than one fiscal year

Deadline for filing a tax return is 31.10. It can be done when the fiscal year ends on the 30th of June.

You do not need to file an Australian tax return if you are a foreign resident and your only Australian-sourced income was interest, dividends or royalties from which non-resident withholding tax has been correctly withheld.

What do I need to apply for tax refund?
An 8 or 9 digit unique reference number in the Australian taxation system called TFN (Tax file number) and a PAYG annual summary from all employers. We we will also need to know, what was your occupation at each employer and Subclass of visa you held during your stay in Australia.

How many years back can I apply for a tax refund?
You can go as far back as 3 years in Australia from the date on which you apply.

How long does it take to get the refund?
On average 3 months from the time your documents are sent to the Tax Authorities, however, you must understand that each case is different, so times can vary from case to case.

What can be useful information for you:
Once you arrive to Australia it is necessary to apply for a TFN (Tax File Number). Here you can do it by yourself.  
How much is the service fee?
The price is 8% from the refunded amount. There is a minimum fee of 85 AUD.
Price does not include VAT or bank charges!